Monday 17 July 2017

WIP's This weeks progress

Well this week hasn't seen much sewing done either due to a little hospital stint for routine tests - all is OK. I had a friend come over and drop my sewing machine into my sewing table for me and it is wonderful to have such a flat surface to sew on and will be great when I am FMQ. I must admit it was like learning to sew all over again as I had gotten used to the sewing machine being above the table and now that it is lower it does feel a bit strange. I do love having my quilt top spread out on the table though without any pulling or catching on the sewing machine's extension table I was using. My friend will be back to add a draw to my table which will complete the major modifications I want to my sewing table. Now I just need to find a solution to my sewing machine mat that I made to hang my scissors and other accessories so that they are at hand when needed while sewing. I will let you all know what I find.


The hole under the sewing machine is so I can get to the knee lift and feed dog lever. The white marks on the table are from me ironing my quilting sandwich which I do on my table as my knees are unwilling to do the floor sandwiching. The table is stained then a clear coat of polish on top of the stain which is why it has turned white with the heat of the iron. I use really big bull dog clips to clip the backing to the table and pull it tight then add the batting and top then I iron the top and push out from the centre while ironing to make sure no creases before basting with safety pins. A lot easier on my knees doing it this way than the floor as I can walk all round the table.

As for the Garden Window Quilt I have all four sides of stems sewn into place and three sides of leaves sewn and flowers glue basted onto the quilt. I will hopefully get back into the swing this week and finish off all four sides of leaves and hopefully start on the flowers. I did decide on whether to add another blocked border to the quilt and realized once I placed the quilt on my bed that just a small 3 inch border would make it the right width and length I want. I have decided on a red border then sandwich it and quilt it. I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. So off to the shops this weekend to get the batting and backing so that it is ready for when I get to the sandwich part. I have already purchased additional thread to do the quilting so well and truly on my way to the finish line now. (Sorry no photo's this time).


Last night I finished another block of my daughters special Empowerment Quilt. Each night I try to do a little hand embroidery and work on the embroidered block for this quilt. This quilt has been in progress for 18 months so far and with each block she is more keen for me to finish it. Now I have to trace the next block to start working on.
Block just finished

First two rows of the centre 

Showing placement of current block 


Each block has been sewn with an embroidery stitch around the outside by the sewing machine to frame the block. Then hand embroidered the quotations and embroidery motifs. I have used tear away stabilizer with each block as the material is very light thin delicate material. The stabilizer also helps to give some firmness as I don't really like to use a hoop to hand embroider with, I find that it really upsets my carpel tunnel in my wrists as well as the arthritis that is starting in my fingers. 






The story behind this quilt came from seeing so many teenagers especially my own two children have their self-confidence / self esteem shaken and broken especially by their own peers that I wanted to make something to remind my daughter everyday just how wonderful and special she really is and that she is completely loved every minute of every day. I decided to go searching for quotes of empowerment and then created the beautiful blocks by adding some easy embroidery patterns and free motion embroidery on some. I found a pattern that had big square blocks which I substituted the embroidery blocks with. 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Annette,
    What a wonderful quilt you are making for your daughter. Not only will she love it and feel all the love you have stitched into it, but the fabulous messages! She is wonderful and special, and it is great that you are reminding her and giving her the strength to believe it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne, Yes she is very excited and can't wait until I finish it for her.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful idea for your daughters. Some people can be cruel and young people get hurt so easily. I love your idea
    StitchinSpain

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful idea for your daughters. Some people can be cruel and young people get hurt so easily. I love your idea
    StitchinSpain

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super idea for a quilt - and its looking beautiful too. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Plum I am very proud of this quilt

      Delete