Sunday 30 July 2017

WIP Update

I am doing my happy dance I have finished my Garden Window quilt top. Yaaaayyyy (can you tell how happy I am to have finished piecing/appliqueing the top). I now have to sandwich it and then start the long process of quilting it. I managed to get it sandwiched over the weekend and I finally started quilting. This is where the fun begins as I have hundreds of ideas running through my head when I start quilting of what I want to do where, though the only problem is trying to remember the great ideas when I get to that part.

I finished machine sewing the applique down and placed it on my bed to judge the size, I thought it was a tad too small and maybe a small border would finish it off. Well when I started to play around with laying out fabric beside it I didn't like any of my choices. So off to the material store with my daughter to pick out a nice piece of fabric for the border. I take my daughter with me as usually I find two or three fabrics I like for what ever project I am working on and then can't decide between them, she comes along and tells me which one will work best. I love having my daughter take part in my hobby. So far she has never been wrong and everything she does choose makes the quilt top really pop. So we found a border however when I got home I didn't think it really suited being placed beside the black of the applique border. So I played with my fabric some more and found that the material really popped when I put a row of border fabric beside the black first. So long story short the quilt turned out bigger than I wanted but it looks fantastic. I have a queen size bed and the top nearly touches the ground either side.



Looking down on my bed you can just make out the border at the top

A closer look at the border that I added

As it is so big I folded it up so see the border with the centre and applique together

I have just realised as I placed my pictures here that I have the whole thing upside down on my bed and here I thought I had it the right way up - silly me. You can tell I have been looking at this quilt for too long as I can't even tell the right way up anymore  ðŸ˜Š

The quilt below I made a few months ago however my daughter took it before I could get a photo or even label it. Well it finally made it into the wash and I was able to confiscate it back to take the photo and hopefully this week put the label on. You can't really see how beautiful the colours of the varying purples are in the photo but even I really love this quilt.


 This quilt was originally for my daughter's best friend who had moved to another school and she missed terribly, however near the end of completion my daughter let her friend know how she was feeling as her friend had hurt her badly. The friend didn't care that my daughter was hurting and they had words and broke their friendship. My daughter didn't feel that her friend deserved something so very special, beautiful & made with lots of love, tho she did feel guilty for not giving the quilt to the intended. However after a couple of months has passed they are back talking again tho I don't think their friendship will ever be the way it was.

This is one quilt I was very happy to keep as I fell in love with it from the very first block. I believe this quilt was never really intended to be given away as I love all my quilts I make and don't want to see them go however when I get to the giving part I have accepted they are going. With this quilt I never felt like that when I reached the end so I think it was intended to be mine from the beginning I just didn't know it at the time.

 Something else I did over the weekend. I went to spotlight as my daughter was after glass beads, I found this beautiful butterfly organza material on sale for $6 a metre. I couldn't resist and bought the whole lot (there was about 6 metres left) to make pretty curtains for my sewing room. However it turns out I could do both my sewing room and my daughters room and still have some left over.

All folded up looking absolutely stunning
Here at my window in my sewing room

A close up of it at the window 
 Well that's it from me this week and probably for a little while as I will be very occupied with FMQ of my Garden Window Quilt and won't have anything to post while I am doing this. Everyone will find it boring around me but I love to get to the FMQ part and really let my creativity fly!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment