Tuesday 4 July 2017

Garden Window Update

Well it was a very productive weekend for me as I finally finished appliqueing the first side of my quilt and put the stems down for the next side. The progress isn't as fast as I would like but working full time limits the amount of time to quilt unfortunately.

Some of the issues I have discovered:
I used steam-a-seam 1/4" on my bias stem that I made and I hope that it washes out as some of it has moved and can be seen at the stems but only if you are close up. Lesson learned that need to be extra careful when attaching the steam-a-seam. The bias tape for the stem was a learning curve as well as I think I may have cut the strips a little to narrow for a 1/4" stem. That is what I love about my sewing is the learning even though they may be mistakes I still love them as I have learnt something. I feel that if we all make it perfect from the very beginning it would be very boring as we are not learning anything. Even if I have been sewing for 20 years I would like to think that there is something I can still learn about my craft to keep it interesting.

Anyway enough of my rant here is the first side done just the flowers need to be machine sewn now. I am sticking to the green in my sewing machine then will do all the reds together to save changing threads so often. It may seem lazy to do it this way but with limited time actually sewing I would rather be sewing than stopping all the time to change thread.



I tried to get a photo with more of the quilt to show the pattern either side of the panel. Once the applique is done there will be another row added of a celtic knot to go around the whole quilt. It is going to be rather big and am aiming at around 100" wide and tall. I like a quilt to hang over the bed and as this is going to Victoria (Australia) which gets rather cold I thought a nice big quilt to ensure you stay completely covered would be the go.


This photo I wanted to show the lovely flower panel that I started with.


It is amazing that when I look at this quilt as it progresses just how beautiful it is going to be. I think the hardest part for me with my sewing is that I fall in love with every quilt I make and I get sad every time I have to let them go. However I love to see the reactions of the people I give my quilts to which I believe is the best part of my sewing. The funny thing is I only have one quilt that I have made for myself. I have a UFO of another quilt I am slowly working on as well as my Esther Aliu free BOM Diamond Hill Applique Quilt that I am working my way through. Unfortunately I need to get this quilt finished before I can do any work on my BOM and the other one will probably be a couple of years in the making.

I hope you enjoyed this post, till next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Netty so enjoying following your progress on this quilt and yes I think this quilt would be very hard to part with it is going to be some thing very special some one is going to be very very lucky to receive it. Just love how it jumps from the panel to the squares and strips to this lovely lovely appliqué border, of course I'm in love with the colours LOL Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Glenda, I hope my mother in law likes it if not I will happily keep it myself.

      Delete