Tuesday 24 October 2017

Its been a while

Wow what a couple of weeks it has been since I was last here. I have been really busy with work, then my ex-Mother-In-Law came up for a holiday to see the kids and me. Her visit was good, it had been 8 years since we were all together and it was nice to see her again and spend some time together. I know she enjoyed spending time with the kids and they have both grown so much since she last saw them.

Because of all this I haven't gotten much quilting done however I was able to give her the quilt I made which was good. Everyone back where she lives absolutely loves the quilt and she sent me a photo of it on her bed.

You would think I made this quilt especially for this room but I didn't know what the room looked like until this photo.


Well I have made some more progress on Diamond Hill and attached two corners and one side of the border and nearly finished stitching down the applique on the other two corners. So will hopefully finish that and will attach photo's of that border done.

One corner of the border attached




The middle of the border with the two corners on each side.
With this quilt I have used the freezer paper and starch method for turning the edges of the applique however I have used two different products - Pollyfuse & Pollystick. The pollyfuse is like a light interfacing that fuses to the back of the fabric and the pollystick is an adhesive light interfacing. I am testing which one I prefer on the last two corners of Diamond Hill as they both apparently wash away. I must say using either of these is so much more quicker than the starch and freezer paper method but not sure if I like the thick feeling the applique has with each of these. Will keep you posted on how this goes.

This one has the pollystick 

This one has the pollyfuse
I am still machine stitching the pollystick corner down and still glue basting the pollyfuse down.

I also finished another embroidered square of my Daughters quilt and have attached that so now only have four more squares to embroider and the centre is done and her quilt will be nearly finished. I am sure she is looking forward to this being done.

During the last couple of weeks the baby of the house got a very overdue clip as it took so long to get him into the dog groomer that his fur was actually matting while trying to brush him. The heat came on suddenly and he started to drop his winter coat but he had so much of it, it couldn't go anywhere the poor little thing but he now has no fur (well very little) and he looks like a completely different dog.

Before he was clipped and very hot

After he was clipped with his bestest friend
 Well off to link up with Esther now, have a good week and I hope you get some sewing done :).

8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt for your MIL - it is gorgeous. And what a difference a haircut makes for your doggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment, and yes he looks like a totally different puppy without all his fur.

      Delete
  2. gorgeous quilts and beautiful dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annette,
    Isn't that just wonderful how well the quilt you made for your ex-MIL matched just perfectly!! I mean, really - you could not have planned it better if you tried. Aww, and how cute are those pups?! The black lab is so pretty (and my favorite type) with his little buddy who is newly clipped. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I couldn't believe how it all matched so beautifully when I got the photo. Yes the black lab is gorgeous and a very big boofhead with a heart of gold, so gentle. I am still amazed at how two completely different dogs are such the bestest of friends.

      Delete
  4. Annette how BEAUTIFUL your gift looks in your MLIL bed room it looks like a show room your quilt is incredible Great quilting on it. Ive watched this stunning quilt go and feel in love with it when I saw those red strips and squares you added then WOW those stunning flowers. Only sorry you did not show this quilt at a quilt show. Now your lovely Diamond hill is growing too beautiful applqiue Annette. Your wee dog looks just like mine is it a shitzu? Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda, Yes he is a Maltese Shitzu. Thank you for your praise on my Diamond Hill as this is the first applique I have ever started, still learning lots tho and enjoying the process. I can't wait to see my Diamond Hill all finished. Yes it is a shame I didn't get to show my MIL quilt but I am receiving lots of praise from everyone in Victoria where it now lives.

      Delete